Identify the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria that you notice in the case studies below and explain how the client meets the criteria.
Part 1: Case Studies Directions:
Identify the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria that you notice in the case studies below and explain how the client meets the criteria. Include the diagnosis that these symptoms are related to. Your response to each case study should be 50 to 75 words. Include scholarly resources in addition to the textbook when appropriate, a minimum of two should be used in this worksheet.
1. Allyson is a 25-year-old who works from home. She is happy with her work-at-home job, because she prefers not to be around people. She is afraid she will say or do something that is embarrassing. She has seen a therapist who referred her to a psychiatrist who prescribed antianxiety medication. More recently, she has been taking more than prescribed and continues to increase the dose a little each week because she finds that she does not feel as good with less.
2. Karen is a 35-year-old wife and mother whose husband has become concerned about her drinking. He has noticed that she always appears to have a drink in hand, and when he asks her about it, she says that it is ginger ale or a coke; however, he believes she is mixing vodka with those drinks. Just recently, she had a DWI, and he confronted her about her drinking, after which she promised that she would stop. However, when she did stop, he noticed that she was constantly worrying, restless, and irritable.
3. Mary is a 25-year-old single woman who currently is in a doctoral program. Mary has developed an extreme fear of germs and she is afraid of getting sick. Mary washes her hands 10-20 times per day. There are times when she is late for an appointment due to her needing to ensure that her hands are clean. She cleans her house constantly and often does not have time to complete her studies as a result. She experiences a great deal of anxiety when she is in situations where she is not able to control the environment. Some of her family and friends have commented on her behavior, which she admits to being a bit excessive, but she also states how easy it is to get sick and how many germs are out there.
Part 2: Scenarios Directions: Provide a 50- to 75-word response to each of the following scenarios. Include scholarly resources in addition to the textbook when appropriate; a minimum of two should be used in this worksheet.
1. Imagine that you are working with a client who has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Select an anxiety disorder from the DSM-5 and discuss the approach you would you use for treating this client.
2. Imagine that you are working with a client who has been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. What approach, such as reality therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, solution-focused therapy, and behavioral therapy, would you use for treating this client?
3. How will you determine if a client is suffering from an anxiety or obsessive compulsive disorder, rather than a substance-induced disorder? References